LET'S TALK | Adult Acne
Having wonderful skin in your teens doesn’t guarantee you’ll be acne free forever... trust us, we've been there.
What is Adult acne?
Adult Acne often comes with more extreme redness, swelling, irritation, and deep cysts. It's more common than you think, adult acne is actually the eighth more common skin disease in the world.
Overactive sebaceous glands (excess oil) chronic inflammation, post-inflammatory, hyperpigmentation, pores becoming clogged by skin cells and acne-causing bacteria.
You can experience breakouts in a cluster, a localized area, or widely spread across the face.
What causes it?
Ugh, Hormones.... actually there are many reasons we may experience adult acne.
Fluctuating or excessive male or female hormones (think menstruation pregnancy, the postpartum period, breastfeeding) can have a huge effect on the entire body as well as come out in our skin.
Stress, emotional and/or physical stress can show up in our skin as breakouts - when you’re feeling scared, anxious, or pressured, your adrenal glands make more of the stress hormone cortisol, which causes an imbalance in the skin. Physical stress like poor sleep habits, extreme weather and illness will also contribute to skin imbalances.
Bacteria, medications, food intolerances, and even using the incorrect skin products can all play a role as well.
It is worth bearing in mind also, that our skin behaves differently when you’re an adult compared to your teenage years. As adults, we are more concerned about, sensitivity, dehydration and pigmentation.
What should I avoid?
Diet plays a huge role, and it is best to avoid the usual suspects such as refined carbs, sugar, milk (and other dairy products), and of course eating too many fried foods... in your skincare, best to stay away from:
- Synthetic perfumes - more on the myriad of why we should avoid synthetic perfumes altogether in another blog
- Essential oils - can be irritating to already inflamed skin
- Sodium Lauryl Sulfate - can damage the skin's protective barrier resulting in worsened irritation
- Alcohol - is drying and irritating to the overall health of the skin.. (but can be used as spot treatment for infected blemishes)
- Coconut Oil - It's highly comedogenic.
- Cocoa Butter - Again, it's extremely comedogenic and highly likely to clog pores
What helps me fight Acne?
The good news is there is plenty of delicious wholefoods rich in flavour and acne-fighting ingredients, as well as in our natural skincare with actives that help soothe, calm & heal breakouts when they do occur.
- Many nuts are high in the omega-3 fatty acids which can help fight inflammation, as well as being high in zinc.
Zinc can also be found in many natural sun protection products, including mineral makeup and sunscreen
- Look for brightly coloured fruits and vegetables and green leafy salads will help your body fight free radicals & oxidative stress
Antioxidants can protect your skin by limiting the production of free radicals, which can damage skin cells.
- Probiotics are found in fermented products like yogurt with live active cultures, sauerkraut, kefir, and kimchi, as well as in supplements
Inner Beauty products are super-charged with probiotics for boosted immune system benefits
When you are in the midst of a breakout, look for products with Salicylic, Glycolic and Lactic Acids to help gently exfoliate unclog and dissolve the bonds between dead skin cells. Vitamin A (Hydroxypinacolone Retinoate HPR) is a gentle retinoid that works to fight acne by dissolving surface oil and diminishing pores, as well as fading dark spots and reducing pigmentation.
What products should I use on my skin?
It takes time and patience to overcome problematic skin conditions, here is a list of the active natural products we recommend that is safe to use on your skin as well as a product to use internally to help you get results.
- Mukti: Vitamin Booster Vital A Elixir // works to fight acne by dissolving surface oil and diminishing pores, as well as fading dark spots and reducing pigmentation.
- Quite Frankly Natural: Facial Balancing | Daily Foaming Cleanser // Superfine white French clay and lactic acid with exfoliating, calming, decongesting and pore refining properties.
- Skin Juice Revival: Refining Face Scrub // Resurfacing action helps to unplug blockages and balance the skin's natural oil flow, clearing bacteria and congestion.
- Biologi: BK Rejuvenating Serum // contains ellagic acid which is a powerful antioxidant that flushes out toxins to help clear pimple-causing bacteria from the skin.
- Edible Beauty Collection: Beauty Booster | Turmeric Beauty Latte // The powerful properties of Turmeric Root are harnessed in this formula to brighten discoloration, soothe inflamed skin and fight blemishes in just one application.
- The Beauty Chef: Cleanse | Inner Beauty Powder // A comprehensive super-greens supplement designed to help detox and purify your body from the inside out.
- Inika Organic Cosmetics: Mineral Foundation // SPF 25 This silky mineral foundation has pure earth-derived minerals with light to buildable full coverage that won’t clog pores or irritate the skin. It also works to even the skin tone and disguise conditions such as acne.